Canada Student says he was victim of phone scam

14:51  11 april  2017
14:51  11 april  2017 Source:   MSN

Hamilton police investigating city’s first homicide of 2017

  Hamilton police investigating city’s first homicide of 2017 HAMILTON—Hamilton police are investigating the city’s first homicide of the year following a serious assault that took place Saturday afternoon on Parkdale Avenue North near Britannia Avenue.At 3:30 p.m., police were called to an alleyway behind a small apartment building at 216 Parkdale Ave. N., where they found a man who had been assaulted.He was taken to Hamilton General Hospital and later died from his injuries. The victim has not yet been identified.The nature of the assault and the reason for the attack are still under investigation.

“Credit Mules” Lined Up for Latest Phone Scam . Cash-strapped people, including students , other financially disadvantaged and homeless people, are falling victim to The young women said she was “in the hole for about ,000,” while another victim found he owed phone companies around ,000.

He also said he has seen people become obsessed with the scam before. The scammer will usually say it’s a long-lost relative or the victim , or the deceased millionaire had no relatives so they sought for someone who shared the same last name.

Mehran Durrani has been in Halifax for six years, trying to earn is bachelor's degree in geology and working two jobs to support himself. The money he saved for a trip back home was stolen this week by a group of telephone scammers. Elizabeth Chiu/CBC © Copyright: (C) Canadian Broadcasting Corporation, http://www.cbc.ca/aboutcbc/discover/termsofuse.htm... Mehran Durrani has been in Halifax for six years, trying to earn is bachelor's degree in geology and working two jobs to support himself. The money he saved for a trip back home was stolen this week by a group of telephone scammers. Elizabeth Chiu/CBC

HALIFAX - An international student studying at a Halifax university says he lost $6,000 in a telephone scam involving accusations that he was a terrorist and would be arrested if he didn't comply.

Mehran Durrani, who is from Pakistan, says he feels "violated" after getting a phone call from someone claiming to be from Immigration Canada on March 28.

3 charged in assault streamed live on social media

  3 charged in assault streamed live on social media 3 charged in assault streamed live on social mediaThe unidentified man was lucky that someone watching the livestream called police, who got to the scene while the suspects were still there, police said Tuesday.

It happens so fast, that the consumer may not even realize they have become the scammer ’s next victim . That’s what happened to Green Bay But little did he know, he was answering a nationwide phone scam that Wisconsin’s Better Business Bureau says has already tricked 50 in the region.

there’s a warrant for your arrest…unless you pay us a fine or back taxes” or other phony debts, he says . In other words, DiDomenica says , “They’re creating a phone number, so there’s nothing to trace.” Any students who believe that they have been the victim of a similar scam are urged to

He says the caller knew his address and told him he was suspected of being involved in terrorist activity.

During the conversation, he also got a call from a number he believed was from the Halifax Regional Police and was told he was going to be arrested within a couple of hours.

Durrani, who works two jobs, told Global News he became increasingly worried when they told him he was being watched, leading him to transfer money for what was described as legal help from the United States.

Const. Diane Penfound says police are investigating the matter, but adds that these kinds of cases are difficult because it's hard to determine where the calls originated.

A crowdfunding campaign started by one of Durrani's friends has raised $5,447 so far.

(Global News)

Mother of Hernandez victim filing wrongful-death lawsuit .
Mother of Hernandez victim filing wrongful-death lawsuitMILFORD, Mass. - A lawyer who represents the mother of the man former NFL star Aaron Hernandez was convicted of killing says she's moving forward with a wrongful-death lawsuit.

—   Share news in the SOC. Networks

Topical videos:

This is interesting!