Canada Ian Bush found guilty of 'brutal' 2007 triple murder

03:16  18 may  2017
03:16  18 may  2017 Source:

Bedroom of Hannah Leflar's killer was adorned with weapons, devil's mask

  Bedroom of Hannah Leflar's killer was adorned with weapons, devil's mask Set for two weeks, a sentencing hearing began Monday to determine whether one of two young men who killed 16-year-old Hannah Leflar should be sentenced as an adult.There was standing room only in a Regina courtroom on Monday as a sentencing hearing began for one of two young men who pleaded guilty in the 2015 killing of 16-year-old Hannah Leflar.

Ian Bush found guilty of 'brutal' 2007 triple murder: <span style=The victims were retired tax judge Alban Garon, his wife, Raymonde Garon, and their friend and neighbour Marie-Claire Beniskos." src="/upload/images/real/2017/05/18/ian-bush-found-guilty-of-brutal-2007-triple-murder-span-style-font-size-13px-the-victims-were-retire_499797_.jpg?content=1" /> © Provided by CBC The victims were retired tax judge Alban Garon, his wife, Raymonde Garon, and their friend and neighbour Marie-Claire Beniskos.

A jury has found Ian Bush guilty in one of Ottawa's most shocking homicide cases.

Bush is convicted of three counts of first-degree murder. The victims were retired tax judge Alban Garon, his wife, Raymonde Garon, and their friend and neighbour Marie-Claire Beniskos.

Bush receives three automatic life sentences for his crimes. They will be served simultaneously, Ontario Superior Court Justice Colin McKinnon explained, because the murders happened before 2011.

Judge rules to erase Aaron Hernandez's murder conviction

  Judge rules to erase Aaron Hernandez's murder conviction Aaron Hernandez is officially an innocent man, at least in the eyes of the state of Massachusetts. On Tuesday, a judge ruled that Hernandez’s 2015 conviction for the murder of Odin Lloyd has been erased. Aaron Hernandez's 2015 murder conviction has been abated by Judge Susan Garsh. He is technically not guilty. Commonwealth likely to appeal. — Dan Wetzel (@DanWetzel) May 9, 2017 Many legal experts knew this was coming after Hernandez committed suicide in his jail cell last month, as Massachusetts is one of few states that still follows a legal principle called “abatement ab initio.” What that means is that someone who has been found guilty of a crime has his or her conviction overturned if all of the appeals in the legal process have not been exhausted at the time of death. Prosecutors have asked that Hernandez’s conviction not be overturned, as it will make it more difficult for Lloyd’s family to proceed with civil action against Hernandez’s estate. In fact, that is why some theorized that Hernandez decided to take his own life. You can read more about that here. With Hernandez being found not guilty of a 2012 double murder in Boston just days before he hanged himself, the former NFL star has now died an innocent man for legal purposes.

That means Bush will serve 25 years in prison before being eligible for parole.

The jury took just one hour and 22 minutes to reach a verdict. Bush looked up at the clock and briefly closing his eyes after it was read.

Bush laughs as he is taken from courtroom

Crown attorney James Cavanagh read a statement from a relative of Marie-Claire Beniskos, who told Bush he "chose the most cowardly way possible" to deal with his problems.

"You killed three innocent people, nice people, good people that you didn't even know, and for what, fun, greed, attention," Cavanagh said, reading the statement.

"You are beyond rehabilitation. God forbid you should ever be free in society every again. Justice has been served."

Justice McKinnon called Bush's "brutal, gratuitous" murders inexplicable and incomprehensible. The fact that Bush forced his family to testify against him "shows you have no shame whatsoever," McKinnon said.

Trial begins for 2 men accused in targeted shootings in St. John's

  Trial begins for 2 men accused in targeted shootings in St. John's Trial begins for 2 men accused in targeted shootings in St. John'sJason Earl Marsh and Christopher Shaw pleaded not guilty to aggravated assault with a firearm in a targeted shooting on Boyle Street on Sept. 9, 2013.

The judge also pointed out Bush's obvious "contempt" for the court process, and for McKinnon himself.

Bush smiled and laughed when McKinnon ordered the prisoner removed. Family and supporters of the victims clapped and shouted "good" as he was led away. 

Victims bound, suffocated

The murders stunned the capital in the summer of 2007. The victims, all in their 70s, were found dead on June 30, lying on the floor in the living room of the Garons' apartment in a luxury, gated condo complex on Riverside Drive.

All three had been bound — the women hogtied — and Bush placed plastic bags over their heads to suffocate them.

But Alban Garon, who was the former chief justice of the Tax Court of Canada and the intended target, was made to suffer more than the others, court heard during the trial that began in early April.

Aaron Hernandez's fiancée thought death was a hoax

  Aaron Hernandez's fiancée thought death was a hoax The fiancée of former New England Patriots tight end Aaron Hernandez says when she first heard the news of his death, she thought it was a hoax. Shayanna Jenkins-Hernandez, who has a four-year-old daughter with Hernandez, is set to appear on "Dr. Phil" next week in a two-part interview. Hernandez was found hanging in his cell on April 19, just five days after being acquitted for a 2012 double homicide. He was found guilty of the 2013 killing of Odin Lloyd and was serving a life sentence without parole for that murder. Hernandez had that conviction and two other weapons charges vacated on Wednesday under a Massachusetts state principle called "abatement ab initio." • McCANN: What Aaron Hernandez's vacated murder conviction means for everyone involved "Our last talk had nothing to do with suicidal thoughts," she told Dr. Phil McGraw, via the Orlando Sentinel. In the interview, McGraw asked her if Hernandez killed himself so she could $6.5 million and if she believed the phone call she received informing her of Hernandez's death. "I thought it was a hoax, that this was some cruel person playing a trick on me," she told McGraw. "I felt like we were looking so bright. We were going up a ladder to a positive direction." - Scooby Axson This article was originally published on SI.

Bush placed a yellow nylon hangman's noose around Garon's neck, pulled it tight, and hit him in the head so hard it fractured his skull. In addition to suffocating from the bag over his head, he died of ligature strangulation and blunt force head trauma.

A grudge years in the making

Bush's rage had, by that summer, been simmering for at least 15 years.

In the 1990s he battled Revenue Canada, as it was then known, over business expenses and moving costs.

The matter dragged on for years, during which time Bush sent snide missives to Revenue Canada, sometimes addressed to "Extortion Canada, Shakedown Division." One of them bore just two words, "BULL SHIT."

The case finally made its way to the Tax Court of Canada in 1997, and a hearing was eventually scheduled to be heard in Ottawa in January 2001.

Bush told the Tax Court he was unavailable that day for "business reasons," but the court denied his request to set a new date.

It was Garon, then the chief justice of the Tax Court, who made that decision, Bush's trial heard.

DNA evidence enough to convict Ian Bush in triple killing, Crown says

  DNA evidence enough to convict Ian Bush in triple killing, Crown says Two pieces of DNA evidence found at the scene of a triple killing in 2007 are enough to find Ian Bush guilty of murder, the Crown told the jury during closing arguments at Bush's trial Monday.Bush, 62, is facing three counts of first-degree murder in the June 2007 Ottawa deaths of retired Tax Court of Canada judge Alban Garon, his wife Raymonde Garon and their friend and neighbour Marie-Claire Beniskos.

No one showed up to the hearing in front of Judge Terrence O'Connor that winter day in 2001, so O'Connor dismissed the appeal and the file was closed.

Eerie fake summons to Bush's house

Bush first sought out Garon that very same year.

On July 31, 2001, the Tax Court received a fax from Bush and Associates Consulting, with the heading "High Court of Humanitarian Justice" and an image of scales of justice at the top. No such court exists.

The fax was addressed to Alban Garon, referenced the denial of Bush's request for a new hearing date, and asked the judge to show up for a fake review at Bush's house in Orléans.

A worker who put the document on file told court during the trial that she'd never seen anything like it before.

Murders remained unsolved for years

Six years later, dealing with financial strain, a house he couldn't afford to buy, and arguments with his brother about the tens of thousands of dollars Bush owed their mother, Bush went looking for Garon again — this time with fatal results. 

Finding him was easy to do. The retired judge's address, even his apartment number, could be found easily on Canada411. The listing remains online today.

Victims to speak at hearing of school shooter

  Victims to speak at hearing of school shooter Victims to speak at hearing of school shooterThe hearing started Tuesday for the teen who killed two brothers at a home in La Loche in January 2016 before killing a teacher and a teacher's aide and wounding seven others at the high school.

Despite the headlines the murders generated and untold hours of police work, the case remained unsolved for years. Ottawa police major crimes unit investigators had very little to go on — while the condo complex did have surveillance cameras, at the time they were only monitored live. No footage at the condo complex was saved anywhere.

Forensic investigators found a body hair that the defence admitted belonged to Bush, and drops of Garon's blood revealed the presence of someone else's DNA as well, but at that time the killer's DNA wasn't in the national databank.

When Bush was arrested, he had no criminal record.

A surprise break in the case

The break in the case didn't come until years later, in December 2014, when police allege Bush broke into a Second World War veteran's apartment, placed a plastic bag over his head and robbed him. The victim, 101-year-old Ernest Côté, survived the incident.

Bush was arrested and charged in connection with that crime later that same month. Those charges have not been tested in court, and the trial is scheduled for this fall.

(We've been prevented from reporting this connection until now because Justice McKinnon, who oversaw the homicide trial, made a ruling beforehand that the Côté incident could not be referred to at all. If the jury heard about the Côté incident, it would have overwhelmingly influenced the jury against Bush, and could have potentially forced a mistrial.)

Jury finds Wayne Howard Bernard guilty in cold case sex assault

  Jury finds Wayne Howard Bernard guilty in cold case sex assault Jury finds Wayne Howard Bernard guilty in cold case sex assaultA jury has found Wayne Howard Bernard guilty of the brutal rape of a Calgary grandmother 22 years ago.

After Bush's arrest in December 2014, police searched his home and found a satchel in the basement containing ropes, plastic bags with suffocation warnings printed on them, knives, a sawed-off shotgun and more.

Bush's family testifies against him

Police got a warrant for a sample of Bush's blood, and test results showed the body hair found near the bodies was his, and that he couldn't be excluded as the source of the partial DNA profile found in Alban Garon's blood.

After years of fruitless searching, lead investigators Timothy Hodgins, now a staff sergeant, and Dan Brennan, now a sergeant, finally had their man.

At trial, Crown attorneys James Cavanagh and Tim Wightman called all three of Bush's children and his former common-law spouse to testify against Bush. They each identified Bush on some OC Transpo surveillance video, getting off a bus at Hurdman station and walking toward the victims' condo, then returning an hour later, the day of the murders.

His brother testified, too, saying Bush led on their mother about eventually being able to buy the house he was renting from her.

Jury rejects defence arguments

In the end, the jury rejected defence lawyer Geraldine Castle-Trudel's argument that there were holes in the evidence.

She suggested that Bush's hair might have gotten into the apartment without him ever stepping foot inside, that maybe the killer hung off a 10th-floor balcony to escape and that the partial DNA profile in Garon's blood might have come from about 100 other people in the Ottawa area.

Geraldine Castle-Trudel was assisted by lawyer Martin Reesink. Their case took less than two days to present to the jury, and three witnesses were called.

About three weeks into the proceedings, Castle-Trudel requested a mistrial after several vague references to the Côté case were found in documents submitted to the jury by the Crown.

Justice McKinnon dismissed the application, saying the errors — which were likely not seen by the jury, much less understood — weren't serious enough to warrant even considering a mistrial.

Castle-Trudel said outside the court on Wednesday that Bush would appeal the verdict.

George W. Bush Photobombs Fox Sports Anchor During Game .
The former president shouted "Hey!" as he passed behind a Fox Sports anchor at a Texas Rangers game. Former President George W. Bush had a bit of fun as he photobombed a Fox Sports news anchor during a Texas Rangers game.Video footage shows the former U.S. president walking behind anchor Emily Jones McCoy as she comments on the game, even shouting a quick "Hey!" to the camera. Bush's photobomb seems to fall in line with the comical lifestyle he told Jimmy Kimmel about during an interview on Jimmy Kimmel Live in March. "I love humor," Bush told Kimmel at the time.

—   Share news in the SOC. Networks

Topical videos:

This is interesting!