Canada Bertrand Charest weeps at sentencing hearing but does not admit to sex crimes

05:07  15 november  2017
05:07  15 november  2017 Source:   cbc.ca

Another hearing set over Ezekiel Elliott's 6-game ban

  Another hearing set over Ezekiel Elliott's 6-game ban A federal appeals court has set a Thursday hearing as attorneys for Dallas Cowboys running back Ezekiel Elliott seek a longer-lasting injunction to stop his six-game suspension over domestic violence allegations. The 2nd U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals on Friday issued an emergency stay of the NFL's punishment, the third legal reprieve for Elliott. It cleared last year's league rushing leader to play in Sunday's game against Kansas City. Elliott scored the go-ahead touchdown in the Cowboy's 28-17 win over the Chiefs.

He wept as he read a letter addressed to his victims, who he acknowledged by name, but did not refer to as victims. Bertrand Charest admits to sexual relationships with skiers: lawyer. Ex-ski coach Bertrand Charest to appeal sex - crime convictions.

Bertrand Charest weeps at sentencing hearing but does not admit to sex crimes . Former Canadian ski coach guilty of 37 sex charges involving girls on his team. Witness testifies former ski coach fondled teammate's breasts to humiliate her.

Bertrand Charest's lawyer seeks reduced sentence for one-time national ski coach© Radio-Canada Bertrand Charest's lawyer seeks reduced sentence for one-time national ski coach

Former national ski coach Bertrand Charest has spoken for the first time since he was charged and convicted of multiple sexual crimes against girls he coached in the 1990s.

Charest was convicted in June of 37 charges including sexual assault and sexual exploitation involving nine victims, all girls and young women between the ages of 12 and 19 who he coached.

Charest asked to address the court for the first time in his trial, just as Quebec court Judge Sylvain Lépine was about to adjourn, following the end of sentencing arguments.

19-year-old awaits sentence for role in murder of Hannah Leflar

  19-year-old awaits sentence for role in murder of Hannah Leflar 19-year-old awaits sentence for role in murder of Hannah LeflarThe teen, who is now 19, was originally charged with first-degree murder in the 2015 death of Hannah Leflar, 16, of Regina, but pleaded guilty to second-degree murder.

Convicted sex offender Bertrand Charest will stay in prison pending appeal. Bertrand Charest 's lawyer appeals client's 12-year prison term. Bertrand Charest weeps at sentencing hearing but does not admit to sex crimes .

Bertrand Charest weeps at sentencing hearing . Charest was facing a maximum sentence of 14 years in prison. Prosecutor Caroline Lafleur said Lépine's sentence is representative of the severity of the crimes .

  • 'He was a monster, a predator': Bertrand Charest's victims share impact statements

He wept as he read a letter addressed to his victims, who he acknowledged by name, but did not refer to as victims.

Charest said he was "profoundly sorry" for any pain he had caused them.

"I am very pained to have made you live through this trial that I would have liked for you to avoid," he said.

He also said he loved two of his victims.

"At 25, I didn't have all of the maturity and the tools to guide you," he said, adding he was "no longer the person at 52 that I was at 25."

The crimes took place between 1991 and 1998, the year Charest turned 33.

Charest also thanked his family for their support and apologized to his children for not being there for them, as he has been detained since his arrest.

19-year-old receives youth sentence in murder of Hannah Leflar

  19-year-old receives youth sentence in murder of Hannah Leflar A Saskatchewan judge has ruled a teenager who pleaded guilty to second-degree murder in the death of Hannah Leflar will receive a youth sentence.  The judge ruled the Crown did not prove the teenager, who can not be named because of his age at the time of the crime, had enough moral blameworthiness or culpability in the crime to be sentenced as an adult.The teen, who is now 19, received a seven-year sentence through Saskatchewan's Intensive Rehabilitative Custody Supervision program, with four years to be served in custody. The program is available to youths who have been convicted of a violent crime.

Bertrand Charest is seen on a court drawing during a bail hearing , on March 16, 2015 in St-Jerome, Que. READ MORE:Ex-ski coach Bertrand Charest found guilty of 37 charges in sex trial. The crimes took place when Charest was their coach.

In June, Lepine called Charest a sexual predator as he found him guilty of 37 of the 57 sex -related Lepine said Charest still did not grasp the severity or the consequences of his crimes and has "They (the victims) were happy with the outcome, with the sentence , with having been heard and with

Antonio Cabral, Charest's lawyer, is asking for a four- to six-year sentence, saying that the 12 years the Crown is seeking is too harsh, given the fact his client did not have a criminal record before these crimes and has not re-offended since they occurred.

He also suggested his client was less "morally culpable" because the crimes happened in the context of what he described as "amorous" relationships, and that that context should be reflected in sentencing.

"There has to be a distinction between someone that is walking on the street and gets attacked by a sexual predator, and that rapes that person, and forces that person to have sexual intercourse with them," Cabral told reporters after the hearing.

The prosecution has argued 12 years in prison is appropriate given the number of victims, their ages and the fact that he got a 15-year-old girl pregnant, leading her to have an abortion.

Residents hastily evacuated from Kensington apartment building over 'structural issues' .
Residents of a Kensington apartment building were told to quickly pack their belongings and evacuate after building inspectors raised concerns about the structure’s safety. Residents of a Kensington apartment building were told to quickly pack their belongings and evacuate after building inspectors raised concerns about the structure’s safety.

—   Share news in the SOC. Networks
This is interesting!