Canada 4-year sentence for 2015 stabbing death of man at barbecue in Winnipeg

08:16  13 january  2018
08:16  13 january  2018 Source:   cbc.ca

RCMP nab woman accused of stabbing acquaintance with kitchen knife

  RCMP nab woman accused of stabbing acquaintance with kitchen knife RCMP arrested a woman accused of stabbing an acquaintance with a kitchen knife in Brandon on the weekend.Staff at a Brandon hospital alerted local police at 7:55 a.m. Sunday morning after a woman was brought in with stab wounds to her abdomen.

A Winnipeg man found guilty of manslaughter by a jury in November 2017 in the stabbing death of a teen at Kelvin High School will not be sentenced as an adult and will not serve any more time in custody.

A District man who authorities said battled severe mental illness was sentenced to 35 years in prison Friday for fatally stabbing a stranger on a Metro car in front of horrified passengers headed to Fourth of July outings in 2015 .

a man wearing a hat and sunglasses: Godfrey Hayden, 27, died in 2015 after being stabbed multiple times during a fight at a barbecue.© Provided by Canadian Broadcasting Corporation Godfrey Hayden, 27, died in 2015 after being stabbed multiple times during a fight at a barbecue.

A 20-year-old man has been sentenced for manslaughter in the stabbing death of a man killed during a fight at a barbecue in Winnipeg in 2015.

Walter Anderson was sentenced to four years, minus credit for time served, in Winnipeg's Court of Queen's Bench on Friday afternoon for the death of Godfrey Hayden.

He's the second person sentenced in connection with the death. Ivan Richard was sentenced in December to 15 years for second-degree murder in connection with Hayden's killing.

Surrey RCMP investigate stabbing in Fleetwood neighbourhood

  Surrey RCMP investigate stabbing in Fleetwood neighbourhood Surrey RCMP investigate stabbing in Fleetwood neighbourhood RCMP are investigating a stabbing that occurred late Friday night in Surrey's Fleetwood neighbourhood. Police say two men were taken to hospital in serious condition, with one man suffering from a stab wound, and the second man sustaining other injuries. More than half a dozen police cars were on scene blocking access to traffic on 168 Street, north of 96 Avenue. Surrey RCMP Sgt. D. Honeyman says it's too early to say what caused the incident. He said police are speaking with witnesses to gather more information.

A Winnipeg man convicted of fatally stabbing his girlfriend in her suite at a Victor Street rooming house was sentenced to 12 years Thursday for the seemingly unprovoked attack. A jury convicted Ronald Alvin Thomas in February of manslaughter in the death of 44- year -old Beatrice Ann Crane

A man has been sentenced to seven years for the 2014 killing of a Winnipeg mom of three. Man sentenced to 7 years for 2014 stabbing death of Angela Marie Poorman, 29. Kelly Malone · CBC News · Posted: Jan 26, 2018 1:20 PM CT | Last Updated: January 26.

Hayden died after being stabbed multiple times on Selkirk Avenue, between Parr and McKenzie streets, in the city's North End on April 17, 2015.

Court heard Hayden, 27, was walking through the area where Anderson and Richard, who had just turned 18, were having a barbecue. Hayden stopped to talk to a woman and she yelled back to Anderson and Richard that she was uncomfortable, Justice Shawn Greenberg said during sentencing. The men started to argue and eventually Hayden left.

He decided to return to the barbecue, though, with a pizza box bent to look like a gun and some knives, Greenberg said. That's when Hayden, Richard and Anderson got into a fight and Hayden was stabbed multiple times.

Wasn't instigator

Court previously heard that Anderson, who had initially been charged with second-degree murder in the killing, was extremely drunk and didn't realize that Hayden had died until he saw it in the news a few days later.

Man charged with second-degree murder in October stabbing death

  Man charged with second-degree murder in October stabbing death A 37-year-old Toronto man has been charged with second-degree murder for allegedly stabbing Henryk Dabrowski to death in an apartment building near the Scarborough Junction. Toronto police said the suspect was arrested on Wednesday. Dabrowski, 60, was found unconscious with “significant trauma” by officers at the Wakunda Pl. and O’Connor Drive-area apartment building on Oct. 28, 2017, police told the Star at the time. He was later pronounced dead at the scene. A post-mortem examination the following day found that Dabrowski had been repeatedly stabbed in the torso.

Winnipeg police have arrested a man in connection with a stabbing in the Lord Selkirk Park area that left a 27- year -old man dead earlier this week. Jarryd Rocky Harper, 25, has been charged with second-degree murder in the stabbing death of Conrad Flett, 27, of St. Theresa Point.

4 - year sentence for 2015 stabbing death of man at barbecue in Winnipeg . Murder charges laid in stabbing death of Winnipegger Godfrey Hayden.

Greenberg said that Richard was the "instigator of the assault" and Anderson didn't know that he had a knife.

The judge also noted that Anderson had a difficult upbringing and was often in the child welfare system as his parents grappled with addiction.

He ended up living with a family member in Lake St. Martin and was doing well, but when flooding forced nearly 1,400 people from the First Nation out of their homes in 2011, Anderson ended up in Winnipeg.

That's when he started drinking heavily, the judge said.

Greenberg said Anderson previously had a clean record and had taken part in programs while incarcerated.

He was sentenced to four years in custody, minus credit for just over two years already served awaiting trial, and three years of probation.

  • Murder charges laid in stabbing death of Winnipegger Godfrey Hayden
  • Winnipeg man stabbed to death was 'gentle, caring,' says mom
  • Death toll in flooded-out Manitoba First Nation hits 92 as evacuees wait to return home
  • Sentencing hearing delay for teen's killer .
    Sentencing hearing delay for teen's killerThe hearing for Nicholas Bell-Wright got underway this morning, but had to be adjourned to Jan. 22 because of a large number of victim impact statements.

    Source: http://ca.pressfrom.com/news/canada/-59675-4-year-sentence-for-2015-stabbing-death-of-man-at-barbecue-in-winnipeg/

    —   Share news in the SOC. Networks

    Topical videos:

    This is interesting!