Canada Gerald Stanley trial: Closing arguments scheduled for Thursday

15:51  07 february  2018
15:51  07 february  2018 Source:   thestarphoenix.com

'Bring drums': Boushie support rallies planned in Saskatoon, Regina after Stanley not-guilty verdict

  'Bring drums': Boushie support rallies planned in Saskatoon, Regina after Stanley not-guilty verdict 'Bring drums': Boushie support rallies planned in Saskatoon, Regina after Stanley not-guilty verdict People are gathering in Saskatoon, Regina and other Canadian cities Saturday to show their support for the family of Colten Boushie after Gerald Stanley, a Saskatchewan farmer, was acquitted Friday of responsibility for Boushie's death. "There is no justice!" yelled people in the courtroom after the jury foreman read out the verdict Friday night. Moments earlier, the presiding judge had urged calm despite the "raw emotions" felt by those in the room.

Closing arguments are expected Thursday in the trial of Gerald Stanley , accused of second-degree murder in the death of Colten Boushie , 22, of the Red Pheasant First Nation. Monday marked the fifth and final day of evidence in Battleford Court of Queen’s Bench. Story continues below. Related.

9, 2018, in the trial of Gerald Stanley , the farmer accused of killing Boushie. Liam Richards / THE CANADIAN PRESS. Chief Justice Martel Popescul, addressing the jury following the lawyers’ closing arguments on Thursday , said the first principle of law is the presumption of innocence.

BATTLEFORDS — Lawyers on both sides of the Gerald Stanley trial are expected to deliver their closing statements on Thursday.

Once that happens, Chief Justice Martel Popescul will give instructions to the jurors and they will be charged with determining Stanley’s guilt or innocence.

Stanley, 56, is charged with second-degree murder in connection with the death of Colten Boushie, a Cree man from Red Pheasant First Nation. Boushie was 22 years old when he died of a single gunshot wound to the head on Aug. 9, 2016.

Stanley’s trial got underway at Battleford Court of Queen’s Bench last week and all witnesses were called by end of day on Monday.

Gerald Stanley trial: Fatal shooting of Colten Boushie 'a tragedy but it's not criminal,' defence says

  Gerald Stanley trial: Fatal shooting of Colten Boushie 'a tragedy but it's not criminal,' defence says Gerald Stanley trial: Fatal shooting of Colten Boushie 'a tragedy but it's not criminal,' defence saysIn his closing statement, defence lawyer Scott Spencer said Stanley had opportunities to lie to make his case stronger, but didn’t do so.

READ MORE: Family of Colten Boushie upset with jury selection at Gerald Stanley ’s trial . Jan. 29, 2018: Jury selection takes place at the Alex Dillabough Centre in Battleford. Feb. 8, 2018: Closing arguments from both sides.

Gerald Stanley trial to hear closing arguments Thursday in Battleford, Sask. READ MORE: RCMP asking public to be peaceful, civil regardless of Gerald Stanley trial outcome. “You have now heard all of the evidence in this case.

Popescul and the lawyers involved in the case met on Tuesday in the absence of the jury to discuss the instructions to be given to the jury. A publication ban applies to anything discussed in court when the jury is not present.

Popescul is expected to spend Wednesday writing the jury instructions and jurors have been asked to return to court on Thursday by 10 a.m. to hear closing arguments.

Stanley, who is not in custody, testified in his own defence on Monday. He told the jury his handgun “just went off” when he confronted a vehicle that had driven onto his property.

A forensic expert testified last week that the cartridge casing that contained the bullet that killed Boushie had an “unusual bulge,” suggesting something went wrong when the gun discharged.

A woman who was in the car with Boushie when he died told the jury she saw Stanley shoot Boushie twice in the head. She had earlier told police she didn’t know who shot Boushie.

ahill@postmedia.com
Twitter.com/MsAndreaHill

Gerald Stanley GoFundMe Fundraiser Won't Be Removed, Company Says .
Gerald Stanley GoFundMe Fundraiser Won't Be Removed, Company SaysThe fundraiser is for Gerald Stanley, acquitted Friday in the shooting death of Cree 22-year-old Colten Boushie.

—   Share news in the SOC. Networks

Topical videos:

This is interesting!