Canada Quebec floods: 92% of victims still without settled claims

03:30  14 february  2018
03:30  14 february  2018 Source:   Global News

New phone-based scam targeting Canadians steals $5.1 million from five victims

  New phone-based scam targeting Canadians steals $5.1 million from five victims A new sophisticated phone-based scam targeting Canadians has drained five victims of more than $5.1 million, Toronto police said Friday. The scammers pose as retailers, claiming to alert the victim of fraud in progress on their credit card and asking them to call 911 or their bank. Though the victims think they’ve hung up and dialed another number — some insist they heard dial tones — the fraudsters appear to be using technology that allows them to stay on the line with the victim.

This week Quebec officials met face-to-face with residents to review their claims . Suzanne Tully said the meeting had given her hope, but she is still waiting for approval to fix Residents who are located in the zero-to-20 year flood zone are not permitted from rebuild after demolition, without an exemption.

Numbers out today suggest 92 % of Québec flood victims are still waiting to resolve their file with the Que government, 93 families still in hotels. Vassiliki Petrisi and her husband, who I spoke with last November, are among them.

New numbers released by Quebec public security show a large number of individuals have not settled their claims with the government, Tuesday, February 2, 2018.© Global News New numbers released by Quebec public security show a large number of individuals have not settled their claims with the government, Tuesday, February 2, 2018.

For many victims of Quebec's 2017 spring floods, the waiting game continues.

New numbers released by Quebec Public Security show a large number of individuals have not settled their claims with the government.

In total, 6,070 claims were filed for financial compensation and only 457 have been settled, which means only 7.5 per cent of all cases are now complete.

"In terms of the organization, it seems to be that it was slow from the start," Itsik Romano, a flood victim, said. "I have no clue why."

Quebec City man pleads guilty to torching Muslim man's car

  Quebec City man pleads guilty to torching Muslim man's car A Quebec City man has pleaded guilty to torching the car of Mohamed Labidi, the president of the Islamic Cultural Centre of Quebec

This week Quebec officials met face-to-face with residents to review their claims . Suzanne Tully said the meeting had given her hope, but she is still waiting for approval to fix Residents who are located in the zero-to-20 year flood zone are not permitted from rebuild after demolition, without an exemption.

READ MORE: Victims of Quebec floods still waiting for help. Officials at the Public Security Department have handed out more than 0 million and more than six thousand claims filed and treated.

READ MORE: Quebec flood victims told they need to find a new place to live

Public Security Minister Martin Coiteux says flood victims are receiving compensation even though their cases are still open.

So far, $118 million has been given out to flood victims.

READ MORE: Quebec floods: Forum held on flooding while homeowners wait for cheques

Coiteux said some major work will have to wait for after winter.

"It's hard to say how difficult it's been for me because all I'm thinking about is my family," Romano said. "We got a lot of delays because of things that were not done properly on the government side."

Feds earmark cash for online child protection .
Feds earmark cash for online child protectionThe Canadian Centre for Child Protection will receive $4.1 million over five years, and $857,000 a year ongoing.

—   Share news in the SOC. Networks
This is interesting!