Canada Contractor calls for mandatory boiler inspections after fatal carbon monoxide leak

03:50  14 march  2018
03:50  14 march  2018 Source:   globalnews.ca

HTC U12 To Sport Matte White Glass Colour

  HTC U12 To Sport Matte White Glass Colour The HTC U12 will have a white glass back panel with a matte finishHowever, there is one key difference with the exterior design. Previously the HTC U11 used what was referred to as "Liquid Glass" for that ultra-shiny mirror finish, but for the HTC U12 the high-sheen gloss will be replaced with a matte finish in white, which will still be glass, allegedly.

A Calgary contractor called in to inspect the boilers at an Airdrie apartment complex following a carbon monoxide leak that resulted in a young boy’s death is speaking out, claiming his team found major problems with the majority of the units in the building.

Contractor calls for mandatory boiler inspections after fatal carbon monoxide leak . George Pinel of Instant Plumbing is calling on municipal and provincial authorities to introduce mandatory inspections . Continue reading →. Popular Now.

A Calgary contractor is calling for mandatory boiler inspections after a fatal carbon monoxide leak at an Airdrie apartment building. on Sunday, Feb. 4, 2018.© Global Calgary A Calgary contractor is calling for mandatory boiler inspections after a fatal carbon monoxide leak at an Airdrie apartment building. on Sunday, Feb. 4, 2018.

A Calgary contractor called in to inspect the boilers at an Airdrie apartment complex following a carbon monoxide leak that resulted in a young boy’s death is speaking out, claiming his team found major problems with the majority of the units in the building.

George Pinel of Instant Plumbing said two boilers were shut down on the spot and 80 per cent had issues “that needed immediate attention.”

Pinel is calling on municipal and provincial authorities to introduce mandatory inspections.

Feds not accepting Sask. request to be excluded from carbon pricing

  Feds not accepting Sask. request to be excluded from carbon pricing Feds not accepting Sask. request to be excluded from carbon pricingThe federal government is rejecting Saskatchewan’s request to be exempt from a carbon pricing plan.

Contractor calls for mandatory boiler inspections after fatal carbon monoxide leak . Boiler at Acheson repair shop shut down after worker’s death.

George Pinel of Instant Plumbing is calling on municipal and provincial authorities to introduce mandatory inspections .

“That would prevent so many of these kinds of problems,” he said.

Trai Schlichter, 12, died in hospital after being exposed to high levels of carbon monoxide on Sunday, Feb. 4.

The Airdrie Fire Department said the building on Willowbrook Road did not have any CO detectors.

In a release on Feb. 8, the RCMP concluded the leak was caused by a faulty water heater that had caused deadly gas to build up in the apartment.

READ MORE: Family of Airdrie boy who died by CO poisoning speak about their ‘gorgeous angel in heaven’

Pinel said that a boiler functioning properly will put out about 100 ppm CO in its exhaust flue. He said the boilers he inspected were producing anywhere from 1,200 to 4,000 ppm.

“They were well above safe operating ranges,” he said.

Homeless family of 4 found dead in parked van in California

  Homeless family of 4 found dead in parked van in California Homeless family of 4 found dead in parked van in CaliforniaGarden Grove Police Lt. Carl Whitney said a man, a woman, a boy and girl were found inside the white Honda van outside a CVS store late Thursday after a woman reported a foul odor coming from the vehicle.

Contractor calls for mandatory boiler inspections after fatal carbon monoxide leak . George Pinel of Instant Plumbing is calling on municipal and provincial authorities to introduce mandatory inspections . Continue reading →. Popular Now.

Contractor calls for mandatory boiler inspections after fatal carbon monoxide leak . George Pinel of Instant Plumbing is calling on municipal and provincial authorities to introduce mandatory inspections . Continue reading →.

He said testing of the intake flue on some of the boilers turned up between 30 and 40 ppm, which indicates there were integrity problems that could result in the boilers spilling carbon monoxide into the apartments.

Pinel said if properly maintained, boilers can have a long life – around 15 to 20 years. He suggested the boilers in this particular building were about eight to 15 years old.

The Crown Shores condo board released a statement Tuesday that said an inspection process spearheaded by the City of Airdrie is now complete.

“We will continue cooperating with the all corresponding parties to take the appropriate steps and comply with the city’s safety recommendations for residents and buildings,” the statement read.

READ MORE: Airdrie building where boy died of CO poisoning last week evacuated for 2nd time

“The worst-case scenario is what happened out there,” he said. “But there’s so many people that suffer from flu-like symptoms during the year – in the winter time. And it’s carbon monoxide from their appliances.”

Infant dies, mother and 3-year-old in hospital after carbon monoxide leak inside Barrie home

  Infant dies, mother and 3-year-old in hospital after carbon monoxide leak inside Barrie home Infant dies, mother and 3-year-old in hospital after carbon monoxide leak inside Barrie homeA 10-month-old baby has died while its mother and three-year-old sibling are in hospital after a carbon monoxide leak in a Barrie home Sunday morning.

Contractor calls for mandatory boiler inspections after fatal carbon monoxide leak . George Pinel of Instant Plumbing is calling on municipal and provincial authorities to introduce mandatory inspections . Continue reading →. Popular Now.

Contractor calls for mandatory boiler inspections after fatal carbon monoxide leak . George Pinel of Instant Plumbing is calling on municipal and provincial authorities to introduce mandatory inspections . Continue reading →. Popular Now.

Pinel said homeowners and building owners should be vigilant when hiring people to service household appliances – to ensure they are getting what they paid for.

“Demand to see certain things,” he said. “Just because they say they’re one thing doesn’t mean that they are.”

He said inspectors should be able to provide their certification and should have proper equipment to test for carbon monoxide levels.

“A lot of these Kijiji guys – they’re out there, they’re not licensed; they’re not certified. Some of them don’t even have their tickets.”

Global News reached out to the City of Airdrie and the province for comment on this story. This story will be updated when we receive a response.

Black janitors allege racial discrimination .
HALIFAX - A group of black janitors at a Halifax office building is accusing the property manager and an incoming cleaning contractor of racial discrimination. The seven unionized workers of African descent who clean Founders Square say they are filing a complaint with the Nova Scotia Human Rights Commission. They say one white cleaner, of the eight non-supervisory cleaners, will keep their job under the new cleaning contract, while the black workers are all set to lose their jobs at the end of the month.

—   Share news in the SOC. Networks

Topical videos:

This is interesting!