Canada Quebec City mosque shooter seeks right to parole after 25 years

14:15  11 april  2018
14:15  11 april  2018 Source:   cbc.ca

Alexandre Bissonnette watched videos of mass murders before Quebec City mosque attack, court learns

  Alexandre Bissonnette watched videos of mass murders before Quebec City mosque attack, court learns Alexandre Bissonnette watched videos of mass murders before Quebec City mosque attack, court learns Alexandre Bissonnette also entered online search terms for mass murderer Dylann Roof 201 times between Jan. 1, 2017 and Jan. 29, 2017 — the day of the attack.

MONTREAL — Lawyers for the man who shot dead six men at a Quebec City mosque will argue their client should receive a sentence of life in prison without the possibility of parole for 25 years .

Reading from a written statement, the 28- year -old addressed a Quebec City courtroom filled with the victim's families, survivors and their supporters Wednesday. For Muslims, questions remain after mosque shooter pleads guilty.

a group of people standing in a room: Alexandre Bissonnette is escorted to a van after appearing in court for the deadly shooting at a mosque, Monday, January 30, 2017 in Quebec City.© Jacques Boissinot/Canadian Press Alexandre Bissonnette is escorted to a van after appearing in court for the deadly shooting at a mosque, Monday, January 30, 2017 in Quebec City.

The lawyers defending Alexandre Bissonnette want their client to be eligible for parole once he's served 25 years behind bars.

The 28-year-old pleaded guilty on March 28 to the first-degree murders of six men after going on a shooting rampage on Jan. 29, 2017, inside a Quebec City mosque. He also pleaded guilty to six counts of attempted murder.

Bissonnette's sentencing hearing begins at the Quebec City courthouse today. The hearing was postponed by one day over legal arguments about whether surveillance footage from inside the mosque the night of the attack should be made public .

Quebec mosque shooting: Judge refuses to release security camera videos

  Quebec mosque shooting: Judge refuses to release security camera videos A judge has turned down a request to broadcast footage from the Quebec City mosque from the night Alexandre Bissonnette killed six people there. Judge François Huot announced his decision Wednesday.A consortium of seven media outlets, including the Montreal Gazette, had requested permission to broadcast the videos.Huot is presiding over the trial of Alexandre Bissonnette, who last month admitted he walked into the Centre Culturel Islamique de Québec on Jan. 29, 2017, and killed six Muslim men as evening prayers were ending.

Six people were killed after gunmen opened fire in a Quebec City mosque , the mosque ’s president told reporters on Sunday. Oudghiri said he had lived in Quebec for 42 years but was now “very worried” and thinking of moving back to Morocco. Mass shootings are rare in Canada, which has

The man responsible for killing six people in a Quebec City mosque last year is facing a 150-year prison sentence, which legal experts say would be the longest ever in the country's history. Each carries an automatic life sentence, with no eligibility of parole for 25 years .

Also Wednesday, before the sentencing hearing, Quebec Superior Court Justice François Huot will render his decision on whether images captured on surveillance cameras inside the mosque the night of the deadly shooting.will be released.

A media consortium, which includes CBC News, is requesting access to the series of images.

Jean-François Côté, the lawyer representing the seven media outlets, said there is no intention to publish the video in its entirety but argued it was important to have access to the images, based on the public's right to transparent information.

Even if Justice Huot rules in favour of the media's request, the Crown could decide to withdraw the video from its list of evidence to prevent its publication altogether.

Quebec mosque shooter Alexandre Bissonnette trawled Trump's Twitter feed

  Quebec mosque shooter Alexandre Bissonnette trawled Trump's Twitter feed He was reading news about the U.S. president on a daily basis, according to evidence presented at his sentencing hearing in Quebec City Monday.QUEBEC — Evidence from Alexandre Bissonnette’s computer presented in court Monday indicates the Quebec mosque shooter was obsessed with U.S. President Donald Trump, Muslims, Dylann Roof, mass shootings and feminists.

27- Year -Old ‘ Right -Wing Troll’ Charged With Murder in Quebec City Mosque Shooting . By Caroline Bankoff. Two suspects were initially arrested after the attack, but authorities later cleared one man, Mohamed el Khadir, as a witness.

QUEBEC — A judge will soon rule on whether surveillance videos that captured the Quebec City mosque shooting can be broadcast. He faces a possible sentence of life in prison without possibility of parole for 150 years .

'Death by incarceration'

Lawyers will be presenting their sentencing arguments over the next three weeks to determine a sentence for the six first-degree murder charges to which Bissonnette pleaded guilty in March.

A first-degree murder conviction comes with an automatic life sentence, with no eligibility for parole for 25 years.

However, Bissonnette is facing the possibility of never being released from prison, if he is handed six life sentences back-to-back with no chance of parole.

Alexandre Bissonnette ‘regrets’ not shooting more people in Quebec mosque attack

  Alexandre Bissonnette ‘regrets’ not shooting more people in Quebec mosque attack Alexandre Bissonnette ‘regrets’ not shooting more people in Quebec mosque attackKiller Alexandre Bissonnette told a prison social worker he regrets not killing more people on the night of the deadly Quebec City mosque shooting.

But community remains resilient as it seeks to foster greater understanding. Rachid Raffa is tired and bitter. It's been 43 years since he chose to settle in Quebec City after leaving Algeria. Alleged shooter at Quebec City mosque to stand trial in March 2018.

MONTREAL - Lawyers for the man who shot dead six men at a Quebec City mosque will argue their client should receive a sentence of life in prison without the possibility of parole for 25 years .

Lawyer Charles-Olivier Gosselin wants his client to serve his six life terms all at once, instead of consecutively.

a group of people posing for the camera: The six victims of the Quebec Mosque shooting, clockwise from left: Mamadou Tanou Barry, Azzeddine Soufiane, Abdelkrim Hassane, Ibrahima Barry, Aboubaker Thabti and Khaled Belkacem© CBC The six victims of the Quebec Mosque shooting, clockwise from left: Mamadou Tanou Barry, Azzeddine Soufiane, Abdelkrim Hassane, Ibrahima Barry, Aboubaker Thabti and Khaled Belkacem

If ​Justice Huot chooses consecutive sentences, Bissonnette will have received the harshest prison sentence in Canadian history since the abolition of the death penalty in 1976 — 150 years behind bars with no chance of parole.

Mosque killer wanted more victims: report

  Mosque killer wanted more victims: report Mosque killer wanted more victims: reportIn her report tabled by the Crown, social worker Guylaine Cayouette said Alexandre Bissonnette told her he had idolized serial killers since his adolescence and he wanted to make a splash of his own.

A first-degree murder conviction carries an automatic life sentence without the possibility of parole for 25 years . Quebec City mosque shooter seeks forgiveness and denies being a terrorist.

They were educated men who had come to Quebec City seeking opportunity, nature, peace and democracy. Quebec City Muslims alarmed by increasingly public displays of racism one year after mosque shooting .

This would not have been an option before 2011, when Stephen Harper's Conservative government passed a controversial law allowing for consecutive sentences in the case of someone convicted of multiple murders.

Gosselin intends to challenge the constitutionality of the article, based on the Charter of Rights and Freedoms which protects Canadians against "cruel and unusual" punishment.

In a letter of intent delivered to Huot and the Crown last week, the defence argued not allowing Bissonnette to hold onto the "hope" he will one day be released from prison would deny him the right to human dignity and would amount to "sentencing him to death by incarceration."

Furthermore, Gosselin plans to oppose the possibility of a 50-year period before parole eligibility, based on the argument that this would rob Bissonnette of any chance at rehabilitation, a fundamental aspect of Canadian law.

Alexandre Bissonnette's defence lawyer, Charles-Olivier Gosselin, said he will present constitutional arguments to the sentencing judge, to avoid consecutive life sentences for his client.© Julia Page/CBC Alexandre Bissonnette's defence lawyer, Charles-Olivier Gosselin, said he will present constitutional arguments to the sentencing judge, to avoid consecutive life sentences for his client.

"The impact of this kind of sentence would be disproportionate to what is reasonable, to the point where Canadians could consider the sentence to be odious and intolerable," Gosselin wrote.

Widow of Quebec City mosque victim begs judge to give shooter an 'exemplary' punishment

  Widow of Quebec City mosque victim begs judge to give shooter an 'exemplary' punishment The widow of one of the men killed last year in the Quebec City Mosque shooting spoke at the shooter's sentencing hearing Tuesday, imploring the judge to hand down a strict sentence. The 28-year-old pleaded guilty in March to six counts of first-degree murder and six counts of attempted murder.

A week after the Quebec City shooting , M-103 become the centre of a peculiar controversy. 25 , 2017. Photo by Sadiya Ansari. A year after the attack at the Grand Mosque , the story that gripped the country so fiercely seems to have been largely forgotten.

QUEBEC — The man who entered a Quebec City mosque last year and fatally shot six Muslim worshippers in an attack that shook the entire Rally seeks justice for black man shot by police in backyard. The Canadian Press. Driver escapes from car after being swept away in Birmingham floods.

Bissonnette will also be sentenced on six counts of attempted murder. Forty people witnessed him fire bullets at worshippers gathered inside the Quebec Islamic Cultural Centre, five of whom were severely injured.

After the guilty plea was entered, Crown prosecutor Thomas Jacques said he wouldn't disclose any information before the sentencing hearings take place.

"We will limit ourselves to say the [Justice] Ministry will demand a sentence that reflects the magnitude of the crime committed," Jacques said.

Bissonnette's trial was initially expected to last several weeks but was unexpectedly cut short when he entered a guilty plea, surprising many after he had initially pleaded not guilty on all charges.

Quebec mosque shooting: 'Your father was a hero,' judge tells daughter of man who tried to stop attack .
Fighting back tears, Azzeddine Soufiane’s 14-year-old daughter spoke at sentencing hearing for killer Alexandre Bissonnette as other people in the courtroom weptQUEBEC — Jan. 29, 2017, was a normal day at the Soufiane household in Quebec City.

—   Share news in the SOC. Networks

Topical videos:

This is interesting!