Canada Mother's Day BBQ ruined after Montreal-area woman swallows metal brush bristle

04:11  16 may  2018
04:11  16 may  2018 Source:   cbc.ca

Toxic leak shuts off water in Montreal

  Toxic leak shuts off water in Montreal Toxic leak shuts off water in MontrealResidents in a downtown area were advised not to use tap water, even it brought to a boil.

'Not an old wives' tale': The dangers of a metal - bristle BBQ brush . 4 72 reading now. Montreal morgue partners with funeral home after surge in heat-related deaths.

74827- mothers - day - bbq - ruined - after - montreal - area - woman - swallows - metal - brush - bristle /. Little Boy Swallows Metal Brush Bristle After Parents Clean Grill - lo.worthytales.tv. They rushed him to the emergency room and an X-ray showed the metal bristle was lodged in his throat.

a person standing in front of a mirror posing for the camera: Lisa Spour said the pain was sharp and persistent, leading her to head to the ER not long after she swallowed the metal wire that came off the barbecue brush and got caught in her burger.© CBC Lisa Spour said the pain was sharp and persistent, leading her to head to the ER not long after she swallowed the metal wire that came off the barbecue brush and got caught in her burger.

Lisa Spour had every intention of enjoying her Mother's Day.

The weather was beautiful and sunny, and her son Mitch and his wife had invited her over for a barbecue at their home in Kirkland, in Montreal's West Island. It had all the makings of a lovely afternoon with family.

Spour was on the last bites of her burger when she realized something was wrong.

Something was stuck in her throat.

"At first I thought it was maybe that I didn't choose my food properly, and it was just stuck," she told CBC's Daybreak. "I kind of remained calm and put my fork down and thought, 'It's going to go. It's going to pass.'"

Body of woman found near Georgina school

  Body of woman found near Georgina school York Regional police are investigating after a body was discovered near a school in Georgina Friday morning.Officers were called near Jersey Public School in the area of Glenwoods Ave., and The Queensway around 11:30 a.m., where a body of an adult woman was found.Police say the remains have not been identified.The mother of a nine-year-old boy said he was playing “cops and robbers” with friends in the area when he first noticed the woman’s body.“She was found leaned against the fence with her legs crossed with her hands in her lap and wearing a white shirt, and had medium-length brown hair,” the boy’s mother told YorkRegion.com in an email.

Lisa Spour said she switched to the wooden barbecue brush two summers ago after hearing stories about the dangers associated with metal brushes , so she never thought she’d be a victim of a tiny, lost bristle .

Lisa Spour said she had already replaced her own metal bristle brush with a wooden one. Lisa Spour and her son Mitch recount how Lisa had to undergo emergency surgery after a bristle from her son’s barbecue brush lodged in her throat at her Mother ’ s Day lunch.

But it wasn't food, and it didn't pass. A metal bristle from her son's barbecue brush had found its way into her burger — and now, it was firmly lodged in Spour's throat.

a close up of a device: This is the bristle from the brush that was lodged in Lisa Spour's throat.© Submitted by Lisa Spour This is the bristle from the brush that was lodged in Lisa Spour's throat.

"It was a very sharp pain, like I was being cut," she explained. "Basically, that's what was happening." The tiny metal wire was getting lodged into the esophagus wall.

It would take two hospitals, three tests, a team of medical professionals and one invasive surgery to get that wire out.

"We didn't want to panic right away. But I could tell my mom was in a lot of pain," said Mitch Spour.

At the Lakeshore hospital, X-rays showed nothing, and a scope shed no light, either. The bristle was barely a centimetre long and thin as a hair, making it extremely difficult to spot.

Crews battling out-of-control wildfire in Westlock County, Alta.

  Crews battling out-of-control wildfire in Westlock County, Alta. Crews battling out-of-control wildfire in Westlock County, Alta.According to Leo Ludwig, the county's chief administrative officer, the fire started Saturday afternoon at about 3:30 p.m. One day later, it was 150 hectares in size — about 1.5 square kilometres — and growing, he said.

Отменить подписку на канал "Breakfast Television Montreal "? Lisa Spour had throat surgery over the weekend to remove a metal bristle that fell out of a BBQ brush . She’ s urging Montrealers to stop using them.

Lisa Spour said she switched to the wooden barbecue brush two summers ago after hearing stories about the dangers associated with metal brushes , so she never thought she'd be a victim of a tiny, lost bristle .

Finally, it showed up on a CT scan. But the Lakeshore wasn't equipped to dislodge it and began preparing to transfer Lisa Spour to the Montreal General Hospital.

"When we were loading my mom into the ambulance … that's when it kind of went from a casual visit to ER to, 'OK, this is serious,'" Mitch Spour said.

Spour woke up from anesthesia sometime later, left only with a sore throat.

Not so unusual

It's something Dr. Nader Sadeghi, the chief of the department of otolaryngology at the McGill University Health Centre, has seen before.

While caught barbecue brush bristles are uncommon, he said, people often get other small, sharp objects, such as fish bones, lodged in their throats.

a man and a woman posing for a picture: Lisa Spour and her son Mitch were relieved a surgeon was able to remove the tiny wire lodged in her esophagus.© Laura Marchand/CBC Lisa Spour and her son Mitch were relieved a surgeon was able to remove the tiny wire lodged in her esophagus.

"Being a sharp object, obviously, if the piece goes down, the possibility of getting stuck down there is pretty high," Sadeghi said. "It can become a serious medical problem if it penetrates ... because obviously it can cause infection and additional trauma in trying to get it out."

Villeray–St-Michel–Parc-Ex mayor asked to work from home amid harassment allegations

  Villeray–St-Michel–Parc-Ex mayor asked to work from home amid harassment allegations Mayor Valérie Plante emphasized that working from home does not mean Giuliana Fumagalli has been suspended. The Villeray–Saint-Michel–Parc-Extension borough mayor will still be present at borough and city council. Mayor Valérie Plante made the announcement late Tuesday morning. She could not confirm the details of the allegations.

Mother ' s Day BBQ ruined after Montreal - area woman swallows metal brush bristle .

Montreal - area woman swallows metal brush bristle Lisa Spour said she switched to the wooden barbecue brush the dangers associated with metal brushes , so she never thought she’d be a victim of a tiny, lost bristle . after - montreal - area - woman - swallows - metal - brush - bristle -1.4664477?cmp

Sadeghi said that if you know something is stuck in your throat, you should consult a doctor, just to be safe.

"There's just no way of figuring out whether the persistent discomfort and pain every time a person swallows is just a scratch or if the object is there," he said.

Metal brushes still available

Lisa Spour said she switched to a wooden barbecue brush two summers ago, after hearing stories about the dangers associated with metal brushes, but she never dreamed she'd be a victim of a tiny, lost bristle.

Her son Mitch now says he wished he'd listened when his mother encouraged him to throw his brush away.

"Now the brush is in the garbage. Tossed it out," he said. "I've put a little picture up on Facebook giving a warning that, yes, this can happen close to home. It's not an old wives' tale, as they say."

Lisa Spour said she had already replaced her own metal bristle brush with a wooden one. Now her son Mitch has, too.© CBC Lisa Spour said she had already replaced her own metal bristle brush with a wooden one. Now her son Mitch has, too.

He added that despite the risks they carry, these kinds of metal brushes are still widely available.

"You see them at every check-out counter, every Canadian Tire, Home Depot, all that sort of thing."

As for their relationship, mother and son say there are no hard feelings.

"I'm going to remember that for many, many Mother's Days to come," said Mitch Spour.

  • For more Montreal and Quebec news, click here.
  • Canadians stranded in Cuba returning home .
    A Montreal-based travel agency says hundreds of Canadians who were stuck in Cuba since a plane crash last week are returning home. Caribe Sol said Monday that Cubana Airlines was resuming operations after the passenger jet crash on Friday killed 111 people.

    Source: http://ca.pressfrom.com/news/canada/-74827-mothers-day-bbq-ruined-after-montreal-area-woman-swallows-metal-brush-bristle/

    —   Share news in the SOC. Networks
    This is interesting!