Offbeat Cat survives antifreeze poisoning after vodka given as antidote

19:35  17 july  2017
19:35  17 july  2017 Source:   ABC News

'Why me?': In wildfire destruction in tiny B.C. Interior community, at least 1 home survives

  'Why me?': In wildfire destruction in tiny B.C. Interior community, at least 1 home survives Sherrie Fraser has a home, but no community to return to. Her home was spared Friday while 30 others burned in a wildfire that struck near Ashcroft, B.C.Fraser's mobile home, located in the tiny village of Boston Flats, B.C., was spared Friday night after a wildfire raged through the region, destroying at least 30 homes on all sides of her.

Antifreeze poisoning is commonly encountered in veterinary clinics every winter. Timely intervention is critical because if the antidote is delayed more than 3 hours after exposure in cats or 8 hours in dogs, the prognosis is poor.

A curious cat from Queensland who lapped up antifreeze was saved by the RSCPA after they cured him with vodka . "So basically once you put the alcohol into his blood it metabolises that instead, and gives the antifreeze time to pass in a less toxic form," Ms Kanther said.

The cat dubbed 'Tipsy' was just a whisker away from death when he was found near a tyre store in Lowood, west of Brisbane, at the weekend. © ABC News The cat dubbed 'Tipsy' was just a whisker away from death when he was found near a tyre store in Lowood, west of Brisbane, at the weekend. It is not common for a black cat to be linked with good luck, but for one Queensland tomcat, it was luck, and a little bit of vodka that spared one of his nine lives.

The cat dubbed 'Tipsy' was just a whisker away from death when he was found near a tyre store in Lowood, west of Brisbane, at the weekend.

It is believed he had ingested toxic agent antifreeze and was rushed to the RSPCA animal hospital in Wacol.

Vodka is the common antidote for antifreeze, otherwise known as coolant, but very few animals actually make it to a vet in time.

Ranchers facing $300K loss after more than 200 cattle die in southwest Saskatchewan

  Ranchers facing $300K loss after more than 200 cattle die in southwest Saskatchewan Saskatchewan's Ministry of Agriculture estimates that farmers are facing a total loss of $300,000 after the death of more than 200 cattle in a grazing pasture north of Shamrock, Sask. The province says initial test results suggest dehydration and possibly salt poisoning are to blame.The deaths have sparked a widespread investigation by the ministry, animal protection officers and veterinarians.

Case: Molly survives antifreeze . poisoning . Ethylene glycol is found in antifreeze products and is highly toxic to cats , causing acute In this case a young cat was witnessed ingesting antifreeze in a garage and was treated with uid therapy and the antidote in the form of ethanol ( vodka ).

Treatment for antifreeze poisoning must be started as soon as possible after ingestion to be effective. The quicker you get your dog or cat to the veterinarian, the Add as Friend Send Message. From what I have read, ethanol (alcohol) has been used as an antifreeze (aka ethylene glycol) antidote .

RSPCA Vet Sarah Kanther believed he had less than an hour to live.

"Luck was definitely on his side when our inspectors brought him in to us. Just in the nick of time," she said.

Blood tests showed he had acute renal failure.

But the quick-thinking vet staff placed him on a drip, attached to a bottle of diluted vodka.

"It just so happened that one of our nurses had a bottle of vodka laying around, so we were able to administer it just in time to save his life," Dr Kanther said.

"He was off his rocker. He was having a jolly good time."

After a long night, lots of liquid, and a greasy breakfast the next morning, Tipsy was now expected to make a full recovery.

"Because it's such a fast-acting toxin, they're normally dead by the time we get to treat them," Dr Kanther said.

Animal cruelty officers to investigate whether 200 Sask. cattle died from neglect

  Animal cruelty officers to investigate whether 200 Sask. cattle died from neglect Initial test results show more than 200 cattle died near Shamrock, Sask., due to dehydration and salt poisoning. Animal Protection Services is investigating whether those responsible for the animals neglected their duty or suffered bad luck.An officer is visiting the pasture near Shamrock, Sask., on Tuesday, still littered with rotting carcasses, to interview anyone who was responsible for caring for the livestock.

The most commonly used antidote in cats is ethanol (alcohol), frequently in the form of vodka . Case studies. Scarlet. Unfortunately many cats poisoned with antifreeze do not survive .

In the study by Connally et al,4 cats only survived lethal doses of ethylene glycol if treated with Antidotes must be given within 3–4 h of ingestion and, unfortunately, there is no point giving them to cats already suffering acute kidney injury. Ethylene glycol ( antifreeze ) poisoning in the dog and cat .

RSPCA vet Sarah Kanther with Tipsy the cat recovering well. © Provided by ABC News RSPCA vet Sarah Kanther with Tipsy the cat recovering well. Vodka worked because the enzyme in the cat's body that metabolised the antifreeze, also metabolised the alcohol.

"So basically once you put the alcohol into his blood it metabolises that instead, and gives the antifreeze time to pass in a less toxic form," she said.

Unfortunately, Tipsy was not microchipped and is now looking for his owners, otherwise he will be put up for adoption.

Michael Beatty from the RSPCA said it was not known whether the cat was purposely baited.

"Unfortunately we have seen a lot of baiting going on and some of it is using antifreeze," he said.

"And that's really disturbing because from what I understand it can take a small teaspoon, and it's a very unpleasant way to die.

"Cats in particular are attracted to it because of the sweet taste."

Baiting is classed as a serious offence and carries a maximum penalty of three years.

Anyone with information is being urged to contact the RSPCA.

Wildfire evacuation order for Cache Creek, B.C., to be lifted Tuesday .
Residents from the first major population centre evacuated in B.C. during this historic wildfire season are being allowed to return home. The evacuation order for the Village of Cache Creek will be lifted at 3 p.m. PT on Tuesday, a full 11 days after it was issued. "While the Ashcroft Fire remains very active and continues to grow and burn out of control, the imminent threat posed by [it] has currently diminished," said the Thompson-Nicola Regional District in a statement.

Source: http://ca.pressfrom.com/news/offbeat/-37086-cat-survives-antifreeze-poisoning-after-vodka-given-as-antidote/

—   Share news in the SOC. Networks

Topical videos:

This is interesting!