Sports Murray denies top ranking pressure after Monte Carlo exit

12:40  21 april  2017
12:40  21 april  2017 Source:   Reuters

Nadal claims record-extending 10th Monte Carlo title

  Nadal claims record-extending 10th Monte Carlo title Rafael Nadal claimed a record-extending 10th Monte Carlo Masters title as he geared up for his beloved French Open with a 6-1 6-3 victory against fellow Spaniard Albert Ramos on Sunday. The fourth seed, who is also targeting a 10th Roland Garros trophy this year, was always in command as he claimed his first ATP title since triumphing in Barcelona a year ago.The 14-times grand slam champion had won his two previous encounters against Ramos and the 15th seed failed to snap that run on Sunday."It has been an amazing week on one of the most important events on the tour.

April 21 (Reuters) - Andy Murray has dismissed suggestions that the pressure of being the world's top tennis player is affecting his performance after losing to Spaniard Albert Ramos-Vinolas in the Round of 16 of the Monte Carlo Masters.

You have exceeded the allowed page load frequency. Please wait 60 seconds.

Tennis - Monte Carlo Masters © REUTERS/Eric Gaillard Tennis - Monte Carlo Masters

Andy Murray has dismissed suggestions that the pressure of being the world's top tennis player is affecting his performance after losing to Spaniard Albert Ramos-Vinolas in the Round of 16 of the Monte Carlo Masters.

Murray's defeat to Ramos-Vinolas was only his fourth match in two months after an elbow injury ruled him out of the Miami Open and the following Davis Cup game between Great Britain and France.

The 29-year-old's only tournament win this year came at the Dubai Championship in March after he lost to Novak Djokovic in the Qatar Open final followed by a Round of 16 exit at the Australian Open. He also exited Indian Wells in the Round of 64 stage last month.

Rafael Nadal beats David Goffin to reach Monte Carlo final

  Rafael Nadal beats David Goffin to reach Monte Carlo final Defending champion Rafael Nadal beat David Goffin 6-3, 6-1 to move within one more win of a 10th Monte Carlo Masters title on Saturday. Nadal will play 15th-seeded Albert Ramos-Vinolas in an all-Spanish final after the latter beat Lucas Pouille of France 6-3, 5-7, 6-1 in the other semifinal. Although the score suggests a comfortable win for Nadal, Goffin’s momentum was halted by a controversial decision by chair umpire Cedric Mourier in the sixth game. Goffin was asked to replay a point after holding his serve for what would have been a 4-2 lead.

World number one Andy Murray suffered a major blow as he knocked out of the Monte Carlo Rolex Masters after going down at the hands of World No.24 With the win, Ramos-Vinolas denied Murray , a three-time semi-finalist at the tournament, his 100th clay-court match victory of his career (99-44).

The Scot won the opening set at the Monte Carlo Country Club in 48 minutes but his service was suspect and Ramos, ranked 24th in the world and the 15th seed, ripped through the second to go into the third with all to play for. He kept his head in the Monaco sunshine even after Murray

"It has been a difficult year for me because I know what it takes to get right up to the top and have the consistent results you need. This year has been stop-start for me, for a few different reasons," Murray said.

"Now that I'm feeling better again I'm hoping that... my results will start to pick up. Injuring my elbow has nothing to do with getting to No 1, or getting sick.

"I'm hoping that I can stay healthy now and hopefully my results will follow."

Murray said that he was doubtful about his participation in the upcoming Barcelona Open and the Hungarian Open as he considers focusing on his fitness.

"I'll speak to my team a little bit about that. I need to decide now whether I go and try to get matches or whether I try to get myself in better shape physically, put as much work in as I can."

(Reporting by Aditi Prakash in Bengaluru)

NFL prospect denies rape report made to police; no charges .
NFL prospect denies rape report made to police; no chargesSpokeswoman Kathleen Caffrey of the Cuyahoga County Prosecutor's Office says the April 9 encounter is still being investigated by police.

—   Share news in the SOC. Networks

Topical videos:

This is interesting!