Sports Aaron Sanchez hopes blister saga behind him after 2017 ‘disaster’

07:35  13 january  2018
07:35  13 january  2018 Source:   sportsnet.ca

James Franco Addresses Sexual Misconduct Allegations: 'If I Have Done Something Wrong, I Will Fix It'

  James Franco Addresses Sexual Misconduct Allegations: 'If I Have Done Something Wrong, I Will Fix It' James Franco Addresses Sexual Misconduct Allegations: 'If I Have Done Something Wrong, I Will Fix It'James Franco is speaking up about the sexual harassment allegations against him.

Blister issues behind him , Sanchez raring to go. - Aaron Sanchez passed every test this spring with flying colors. Now comes the biggest challenge of all: the regular season. These aren't the type of things that will make or break a season, but Sanchez hopes the time away will give him a bit of an

By Connor Byrne | April 30, 2017 at 12:46pm CDT. 12:46pm: Sanchez ’s return did not go smoothly. His blister issues resurfaced, forcing him to depart after one inning, reports Gregor Chisholm of MLB.com. 9:52am: As expected, the Blue Jays have activated right-hander Aaron Sanchez from the

image© image image

BURNABY, B.C. — Aaron Sanchez felt like he was trying to run in quicksand last season.

Coming off a breakout campaign where the Toronto Blue Jays starter led the American League in earned-run average and got his first all-star nod, 2017 was marred by blister and nail issues on the middle finger of his pitching hand.

The baffling injury that first bubbled to the surface in April landed Sanchez on the disabled list four times before the hard-throwing right-hander was shut down for good in September with the club playing out the string.

Sanchez threw just 36 innings with a 1-3 record and a 4.25 earned-run average — a far cry from the 15-2 mark and AL-best 3.00 ERA he put up in 2016.

Jury deliberations start Thursday in Lac-Mégantic railway disaster trial

  Jury deliberations start Thursday in Lac-Mégantic railway disaster trial Jury deliberations start Thursday in Lac-Mégantic railway disaster trialSHERBROOKE — The three accused in the Lac-Mégantic railway disaster must be judged without sympathy or prejudice and without consideration of public opinion, Quebec Superior Court Justice Gaétan Dumas told jurors Wednesday in his final instructions.

Toronto Blue Jays pitcher Aaron Sanchez believes resting over the off-season will be the cure for the blister issues that saw him make just eight starts in 2017 . (Frank Gunn / THE CANADIAN PRESS).

Toronto Blue Jays hurler Aaron Sanchez appears poised to rebound after receiving a clean bill of health for his nagging blister issues that derailed his 2017 campaign. So with the blister issues behind him , Sanchez will look to be that X-factor once again for manager John Gibbons.

“It was just one thing after another that we really couldn’t control,” the 25-year-old said Friday. “It went from trying to get ahead (of the injury) to falling way behind.”

Speaking with reporters in the basement of an elementary school before a Blue Jays’ winter tour event in suburban Vancouver, the six-foot-four, 215-pound Sanchez said having a seemingly minor issue derail his entire season was hard to comprehend.

“The frustrating part for me was it being so little, being so tiny,” he said. “It could be worse. It could be other body parts on me that affect my career.

“I’m pretty confident that my finger, the way it is, will be fine this year. I’ll have to maintain it like I have in years past, but no more of the disaster that it had last year.”

Josh Donaldson agrees to $23M, 1-year deal with Blue Jays

  Josh Donaldson agrees to $23M, 1-year deal with Blue Jays Josh Donaldson agrees to $23M, 1-year deal with Blue JaysThe 32-year-old, a three-time All-Star, rebounded from an injury-slowed 2016 to hit .270 last season with 33 homers and 78 RBIs in 113 games. The sure-handed infielder missed time from April 14 through May 25 with a calf injury, which also hampered him during spring training.

Among the reasons for optimism in Toronto is that Aaron Sanchez is back. Sure, you never really know when any pitcher will stay good and healthy, but Sanchez was able to start just eight games in 2017 , due to significant blister problems.

A full picture of his injury should become clear after the results of the MRI are known.","date":"Sat Jun 23"},"fullName":" Aaron Sanchez ","seasonOutlook":{"outlook":"The poster boy - Sanchez made four separate trips to the DL (three specifically attributed to blisters ), effectively ruining his 2017 campaign.

That maintenance includes making sure his finger nail — which had a piece surgically removed in the first month of the 2017 season — is the right length, and that the skin isn’t too hard or too soft.

“A lot of it is friction and force from the game,” Sanchez said in describing how the blister occurred. “Humidity plays a big factor … there’s so many different factors.

“Hopefully we can get this all fixed and move on.”

Fellow starter Marco Estrada, who is on the winter tour with Sanchez, first baseman Justin Smoak and outfielder Dalton Pompey, said it was tough to see his young teammate deal with the maddening injury.

“To watch one of your friends go down like that and not be able to pitch sucks,” said the 34-year-old right-hander. “It’s not something you want to see for anybody, but when someone is that close you try to pull for him even harder.

“He’s one of the best pitchers in the game. To miss a guy like that basically the entire year hurt us a lot. Obviously it showed in our record (76-86).”

Jays avoid arbitration with Donaldson

  Jays avoid arbitration with Donaldson Third baseman Josh Donaldson and the Toronto Blue Jays have agreed to a US$23 million, one-year contact, the largest one-year deal for an arbitration-eligible player. The new deal gives the 2015 AL MVP a $6 million raise.The 32-year-old three-time all-star, who was eligible for arbitration, becomes the highest paid player on the Jays.Donaldson rebounded from an injury-slowed 2016 to hit .270 last season with 33 homers and 78 runs batted in over 113 games. The sure-handed infielder missed time from April 14 through May 25 with a calf injury, which also hampered him during spring training.Donaldson was coming off a $28.

Toronto Blue Jays placed RHP Aaron Sanchez on the 10-day disabled list. Blister . July 7, 2017 . Made two starts after that second DL stint (0-0, 3 ER/11.0 IP) before being placed on the DL for a third time with a laceration on his right middle finger on May 20

Injuries limited Toronto right-hander Aaron Sanchez to eight starts in 2017 , and his season ended on July 19. The blister issue limited him to eight starts in 2017 and led to four stints on the disabled list. Sanchez didn't pitch after July 19, and his final comeback effort was halted when he was shut down

Sanchez, who avoided arbitration Friday by signing a one-year deal worth US$2.7 million, began throwing in early December and is confident he’ll be ready to go when pitchers and catchers report for spring training Feb. 14.

“I feel great,” said the native of Barstow, Calif. “They wanted six to 10 weeks (off). I took 13, so I’m in a great place. My body feels great. I’m excited to hopefully be back on the field.”

Sanchez is looking forward to returning to the mound to not only help his team, but also continue honing his craft after what amounted to a lost year.

“I didn’t forget how to pitch,” he said. “It’s just about filling up the strike zone, working on the pitches I feel like I need to improve on.

“It’s just going in and refining everything I know.”

He’s also eager to get back competing. Asked about the New York Yankees and their powerful lineup that added slugger Giancarlo Stanton, who led the majors with 59 home runs in 2017, in a trade with the Miami Marlins to go along with Aaron Judge’s 52 homers, Sanchez didn’t waver.

“I ain’t worried. It’s all paper right now,” he said. “They’ve still got to go out and hit, you’ve still got to go out and perform. I’ll be ready just as much as they will and we’ll go compete.”

And after last season’s finger frustration, that’s all Sanchez really wants.

“I’m a pretty positive guy,” he said. “I’m not going to let this derail me in what I’m trying to accomplish in this game and in my career.”

Tom Harding apologizes for role in Lac-Megantic .
MONTREAL - The former train engineer recently acquitted of criminal negligence in the Lac-Megantic railway disaster apologized Monday in a rare public statement since the 2013 tragedy that claimed the lives of dozens in the small Quebec town. With visibly quivering lips and flanked on each side by his lawyers, Tom Harding read a short, prepared statement in French and in English before the cameras. "I do not find the words sufficient to express my sympathies," said Harding, who was found not guilty Friday along with two former railway colleagues of criminal negligence causing death."I am deeply sorry for my part of responsibility in this tragedy.

—   Share news in the SOC. Networks

Topical videos:

This is interesting!