Technology American Airlines says it's getting rid of plastic straws

04:31  11 july  2018
04:31  11 july  2018 Source:

Embraer joint venture with Boeing could make life tougher for Bombardier: analysts

  Embraer joint venture with Boeing could make life tougher for Bombardier: analysts The planned tie-up between Boeing Co. and Embraer SA will result in stiffer competition for the Airbus-controlled C Series and Bombardier Inc.'s regional aircraft business, industry observers said Thursday. Boeing will own 80 per cent of the joint venture valued at $4.75 billion US and Embraer the remaining 20 per cent. The deal is expected to close toward the end of 2019. The partnership is a direct response to Airbus partnering with Bombardier on the C Series, its largest commercial aircraft, analysts say. "This is really about the C Series," said Richard Aboulafia of the Teal Group.

Well, starting in May, McDonald' s is making moves to reduce some of its ecological footprint by phasing out plastic straws at its UK locations and The news comes after an announcement by the company earlier this year that it will recycle packaging in all of its almost 37,000 restaurants globally by 2025.

American Airlines has become the latest big company to say it ’ s axing plastic straws in the name of environmentalism. The world’s largest carrier announced on Tuesday that it will eliminate plastic straws and stir sticks from its flights and lounges.

a airplane that is sitting on a runway at an airport© Provided by

American Airlines says it will stop using plastic straws and drink stirs and replace them with biodegradable alternatives.

American said Tuesday that starting this month in its airport lounges it will serve drinks with straw and wood stir sticks and begin moving to what it called eco-friendly flatware.

American, the world's biggest airline, said that in November on board planes it will replace plastic stir sticks with ones made from bamboo. The airline said the moves will eliminate more than 71,000 pounds of plastic a year.

Alaska Airlines, the fifth-largest U.S. carrier, said in May that it would phase out plastic straws and citrus picks starting this summer and replace them with "sustainable, marine-friendly alternatives." Larger U.S. airlines — Delta, United and Southwest — still use plastic straws, according to representatives of those carriers.

First Air and Canadian North plan to merge ... again

  First Air and Canadian North plan to merge ... again A statement says the airlines have regulatory approval to establish the new entity. This isn’t the first time the two airlines have talked of merging. In 2014, the owners of First Air and Canadian North cancelled talks to merge , saying there were no future discussions planned. The airlines subsequently had a codeshare agreement, which ended in 2017 . The companies now say the merger will result in fewer flight interruptions, and it will address challenges like pilot shortages. The headquarters for the proposed airline will be in Ottawa. The companies say the merger should be complete by the end of the year.

This echoes comments from the plastic industry, which says efforts should instead be focused on improving recycling technologies. It ' s unclear how many straws are used in the U.S. By one widely reported estimate, Americans use 500 million disposable straws per day—or 1.6 straws per

SeaWorld’ s announcement follows similar efforts of companies working to ban disposable plastics , including Alaska Airlines and McDonald’ s , the latter of which announced plans to ban plastic straws at some of its U.K. locations as part of a test program.

Some cities have banned plastic straws because they are often not recycled and wind up as trash in landfills and oceans.

Starbucks and other food companies have recently announced they will phase out plastic straws and polystyrene foam cups from their stores by 2020.

Hotels are making similar moves. Hyatt Hotels Corp. said this week it will eliminate plastic straws and drink stirs from all its properties by Sept. 1. Hyatt said it will provide straws by request only, and will use environmentally friendly alternatives where they're available.

Hilton Hotels also said it will remove straws from the 650 properties it manages by the end of 2018. Hilton estimates that move will eliminate more than 35 million straws each year.

All-women crew returns from North Pacific with seawater samples .
All-women crew returns from North Pacific with seawater samples The North Pacific voyage was led by sailor Emily Penn, who hopes to bring attention to the issue of microplastics in the oceans.

—   Share news in the SOC. Networks

Topical videos:

This is interesting!